Growing up, well before real estate agent Jay Quigley got his start in the industry, he was better known as DJ Jay Scott. Though he’s moved on from spinning records in the Tampa community he was raised in, his unwavering loyalty to his locale has made him a go-to local agent at Florida Executive Realty.
Hear the story behind his passion for his home town’s music scene and unique offerings. Diving into the path he took to get to where he is today, he shares his journey from an 18-year-old disk jockey to successful agent.
Jay shares his experience working in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. He talks tech, evolution and what agents need to do to stay adjusted to the changes that lie ahead. Also, hear why he says being the dumbest person in the room is never a bad thing.
“As real estate agents, we do need to embrace technology and we do need to think of ways that we can provide our services to clients in a way that does not compromise our health or their health…I think this is going to be around moving forward and the agents that get it and implement it and get better at it will be the agents that come out of this super-strong.”
- Jay Quigley’s Advice for New Agents:
- Do not be afraid to be the dumbest person in the room.
Team up with a mentor or a broker that has a heart for teaching.
“I have found that if you walk in thinking you know more than you [do]… I believe that you're not going to achieve what's possible.
-Jay Quigley [29:56]
- Embrace technology.
If you’re not technologically inclined or you’re an older person getting started in real estate, find the help you need to learn.
“There are so many people out there that are willing to help but you have to make the first step and ask.”
-Jay Quigley [30:32]
- [00:00] Intro
- [00:40] Meet Jay Quigley
- [01:35] Developing a passion for real estate
- [02:01] Growing up a Tampa native
- [04:42] On thing he reminisces about from the '80s
- [06:28] Jay Scott DJing as a senior in high school
- [08:49] Working as a board operator for the Buccaneers and the Reds
- [13:08] Experiencing a home team championship
- [14:24] Leaving the radio industry and pivoting as a paralegal
- [15:49] Transitioning into real estate
- [16:58] Finding the right fit with Florida Executive Realty
- [19:58] How his legal skills help with his work as a realtor
- [20:43] Takeaways from the current COVID-19 environment
- [23:02] GTR, FAR and volunteering at the association level
- [26:34] Taking a tech-savvy approach
- [28:14] What lies ahead in the next 5 years
- [29:31] Jay Quigley's advice for new agents
- [30:51] Finding Jay
- [31:53] Outro
Find | THE REAL ESTATE SESSIONS
Find | Bill Risser
Find | Jay Quigley
RATE & SUBSCRIBE